Tuesday, September 12, 2006

naayn ilayvun

Nine-11


9-Eleven


911


0911


9/11


I don't know what I'm trying to get at. Somehow, it seemed a little more relevant when I first thought this through.

Think 9/11 and all that comes to mind is an airplane and two very-tall buildings. It's virtually inevitable to dissociate the two concepts. It's intriguing how two (almost random) numbers can create this ghastly image. It's just two numbers - nine and eleven. Nothing too complicated. 9 ... 10 ... 11....

I'll tell you a little story (even though I'm not good at telling stories). Yesterday, I was filling out some forms and as usual, there is the customary date field. Very nonchalantly, I write down "9/11/2006". And then it happened. It never dawned on me until then that it was 9/11. The 9/11. I honestly feel I could've gone through the whole day not thinking about 9/11 if I hadn't filled out that date field. Partly because I have the tendency to go through an entire day without thinking of the date. And partly because I consciously tell myself not to make a big deal about 9/11. But no matter how hard I try, I cannot erase that image from my mind. And I know I don't speak for myself here.

The media doesn't help either. CNN.com featured a "9/11 : As it happened" on their home page which is direct footage of the CNN broadcast (2 videos totalling 3 hours) on 9/11/2001, as it happened! MSN.com featured six stories of people who were directly affected by the 9/11 attacks and 'the 9/11 photo you didn't see' (Yes, there is only one more you need to see. After seeing this photo, you're all set - you'll have seen all the photos of the WTC towers blowing up. The complete set!) I didn't watch TV but I'm sure no news program missed out on the 9/11 bit. 9/11 was the flavor of the day. Amidst such circumstances, we are to cure ourselves of the '9/11 syndrome,' erase the horrific incidents of that day ..... hmmmph Now this might sound a little out there but my hunch is that 9/11 is soon going to be a brand name. We'll be seeing it everywhere. 9/11 fashionwear. 9/11 chocolates. 9/11 condoms. 9/11 potato chips. 9/11 this. 9/11 that. Cruel no?

No comments: